“Breakfast is the most important meal of the day” is hands down one of the most-worn phrases in our parent’s arsenal, but unlike most of the phrases that our parents use, this one is true. Breakfast is indispensable not just because it “breaks your overnight fast”, but is also essential to kick-start your metabolism and prepare you for a competitive day.
From boosting your cognitive process to controlling your weight, there are almost a million reasons to start your day with a balanced and healthy breakfast, and almost none to avoid having a wholesome breakfast. The National Library of Medicine, a trusted Medical Journal
(https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8568444/) conducted research based on 14 different parameters and discovered that those who eat breakfast seven times per week have a reduced risk for:
- High Blood Pressure
- Abdominal Obesity
- Cardiovascular-Related Issues.
- Elevated Low-Density Lipoprotein (LDL) Cholesterol.
So now that we have established how important this particular meal is for you, here are some ingredients that you can add to your breakfast to make it healthier and tastier:
- Fruits: Add fruits such as apples, bananas, and others; have them raw or blend them into a smoothie, slice them into your breakfast, or have them on the side. Mix and match till you find the right combination that suits you.
- Yoghurt or Curd: The simple sugar carbs they host give you immense energy and provide a healthy start to your long day.
- Lentils: With loaded fiber and protein content, lentils are easy to cook and must be added to your healthy breakfast.
- Cinnamon: Keeps your blood sugar level stable and your energy diet balanced.
- Dates: High in natural sugar, it provides a quick burst of energy and contains necessary vitamins, fiber, and antioxidants.
So, make the best of your day. Have a nourishing breakfast that vitalizes you for the day and gives you the necessary jump-start go out there and conquer the world.
Breakfast Pick courtesy: Alisdair McDiarmid, CC BY 2.0 via Wikimedia Commons