Khao Soi is a Northern Thailand specialty. It is a spicy coconut curry noodle soup garnished with coriander, pickled mustard greens, sliced onions, lemon wedges, and spicy chilli sauce, typically served with fried noodles and choices of meat.
The dish originates in the Chiang Mai region and is said to have been influenced by the Chinese Muslim traders who plied the spice route dating back to the 15th and 16th centuries.
It is one of those flavoursome Thai regional dishes you must try for a unique gastronomic experience.
Khao Soi is trendy street food in Northern Thailand and finds a place in the lunch menu of Thai restaurants. The best thing about this delicacy is that its flavour can be adapted to suit one’s palate. Try this Khao Soi recipe for an authentic Northern Thailand experience at home.
Follow Indo Thai News–your one-stop-shop for the latest update on popular Thai food and drink
Khao Soi – Spicy Coconut Curry Noodle Soup
Preparation Time: 10-15 minutes
Cooking Time: 25-30 minutes
Ready In: 45 minutes | Serves: 4
- 3-4 chicken drumstick pieces
- 3 tbsp oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 Thai shallots, thinly sliced
- 4 tbsp red curry paste
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 3-4 tbsp soy sauce
- 3 tsp palm sugar
- 350g dried egg noodles
- 2 cups fried noodles
- 1 small onion, sliced
- A handful of chopped coriander
- Few wedges of lemon
- 250ml chicken stock
Preparation Instructions for Khao Soi
- Heat a cooking pan on medium heat and add oil. When the oil is heated enough, add garlic and shallots and stir for about 30 seconds.
- Now add the red Thai curry paste and turmeric, mix and let it cook for about 2-3 minutes until the paste changes colour and darkens slightly.
- Add one cup of coconut milk and continuously stir it to blend. Let the mixture simmer for a few minutes. The sauce will bubble, and a layer of oil will surface in a few minutes.
- Add the chicken drumsticks to the gravy mixture and let it simmer on medium to low heat until thoroughly cooked. It will take about 15-20 minutes or so.
- Check the chicken for tenderness with a fork, add the remaining cup of coconut milk, and let it simmer for 4-5 minutes until the oil rises again.
- Add the chicken stock to the gravy and bring it to a simmer again. Add the soy sauce and sugar, reduce the heat, and cook for 2 minutes. Keep it covered and warm till it is ready to serve.
- Boil the egg noodles as per the instructions on the pack. When cooked, drain and rinse with cold water.
- Serve the noodles in 4 large bowls and add the warm Khao Soi curry with chicken pieces over the noodles
- Garnish with fried noodles, chopped coriander, sliced onions, and lemon wedges.
- Serve it warm with pickled mustard greens and spicy chilli sauce.
Liked this Post? Pin it for Later
Follow Indo Thai News and get the latest update on Thailand street food
Four more must-read articles on Indo Thai News
How to Make Mawa Bati | Tried and Tested Mawa Bati Recipe
Lip-Smacking Indore Street Food You Must Try
Thai Green Curry: The Spicy Melody
Chaitra Navratri – Significance and How It is Celebrated Across India