His Majesty King Maha Vajiralongkorn Phra Vajiraklaochaoyuhua, commonly referred to as King Rama X, is the current monarch of Thailand. He ascended to the throne on December 1, 2016, following the passing of his father, King Bhumibol Adulyadej (Rama IX), who was the longest-reigning monarch in Thai history.
Here are some key points about King Maha Vajiralongkorn:
- Birth and Education: He was born on July 28, 1952, in Bangkok, Thailand. King Vajiralongkorn received his early education in Thailand and later attended schools in the United Kingdom and Australia. He also received military training in Thailand and overseas military academies.
- Title and Name: His full title is “His Majesty King Maha Vajiralongkorn Phra Vajiraklaochaoyuhua.” In Thailand, the King is highly respected and holds a symbolic and unifying role in the country.
- Marriages and Family: King Vajiralongkorn has been married four times and has children from his previous marriages. His current Queen consort is Her Majesty Queen Suthida, whom he married in 2019.
- Official Duties: As King, Vajiralongkorn performs various ceremonial and constitutional duties. He is the head of state, the commander-in-chief of the Royal Thai Armed Forces, and the protector of Buddhism in Thailand.
- Public Engagements: King Rama X is often seen participating in various public events and royal ceremonies, interacting with the people, and engaging in charitable activities.
- Coronation: King Vajiralongkorn was 64 when he became king, making him the oldest Thai monarch to ascend to the throne. King Vajiralongkorn’s official coronation ceremony took place from May 4 to May 6, 2019. This grand event marked his formal ascension to the throne and was attended by dignitaries and representatives from around the world.
- King’s Birthday Holiday: Previously this holiday was celebrated on the birthday of King Bhumibol Adulyadej on December 5th. From 2017, the King’s Birthday has shifted to July 28th, but December 5th remains a public holiday in Thailand to mark the birthday of King Bhumibol Adulyadej.
- Project: It’s commendable to note that His Majesty King Maha Vajiralongkorn Phra Vajiraklaochaoyuhua (Rama X) has taken the initiative to promote volunteerism and good deeds through the project “We Do Good Deeds with Our Hearts.” By raising awareness among the Thai people and encouraging joint efforts, the project aims to foster a sense of unity and social responsibility for the betterment of society as a whole.
Volunteer projects like this play a crucial role in contributing to the well-being of communities and the country at large. By engaging in public services and activities to improve the living environment and hygienic standards, members of the volunteer project are making a positive impact on Thai society. These efforts not only enhance the quality of life for the public but also create a sense of satisfaction and pride among the people, knowing they are actively involved in making a difference.
The spirit of volunteerism and giving back to society can have far-reaching effects, promoting a sense of togetherness and fostering a culture of compassion and caring. It not only benefits those directly involved in the projects but also inspires others to follow suit and contribute to the greater good.
As with any volunteer project, it is essential to recognize the importance of sustainable efforts and ongoing support to address various social and community needs effectively. The project “We Do Good Deeds with Our Hearts” serves as an inspiration for individuals and organizations to come together and work towards building a more inclusive, compassionate, and thriving society in Thailand.
Note: On H.M. King’s Birthday, most government offices, banks and businesses will be closed. Many shops will remain open and there is no ban on the sale of alcohol.