Buffalo shooter admitted to targeting the black community when he went on a rampage that resulted in the death of 10 people. The 18-year-old suspect who opened fire at a Buffalo grocery Saturday claimed authorities he was targeting the Black community.
Following his detention, the alleged gunman made unsettling claims about his intent and state of mind, according to the official. The words were direct and packed with anti-Black sentiment. Other evidence obtained through search warrants and other ways indicated that the alleged gunman was “studying” similar hate acts and shootings, according to the official.
The news comes only one day after a shooter opened fire at a Tops Friendly Markets shop in Buffalo’s predominately Black area, killing ten people and injuring three more. Officials said 11 of the people who were shot were Black. According to officials, the victims range in age from 20 to 86 years old. All 13 victims were recognized by Buffalo police on Sunday. A retired cop who attempted to stop the shooter, the octogenarian mother of the city’s previous fire commissioner, and a long-time substitute teacher were among those killed.
A spokesperson for Erie County Medical Center stated Saturday night that two persons remained hospitalized in stable condition.
Payton S. Gendron, an 18-year-old from Conklin, New York, was identified as the perpetrator. He allegedly authored a White nationalist manifesto online, traveled roughly 200 miles to the store, and live streamed the crime, according to investigators.
According to Buffalo Police Commissioner Joseph Gramaglia, the attack was a racist hate crime.
“The evidence that we have uncovered so far makes no mistake that this is an absolute racist hate crime. It will be prosecuted as a hate crime,” he said. “This is someone who has hate in their heart, soul, and mind.”